<$BlogRSDURL$>

2.14.2006

beauty school, new rules, 19-yr-olds... and chasing after a passion 

i'm utterly exhausted. today was my first day of beauty school, and i hope EVERYONE wasn't lying when they said today is the worst and most boring day. it was brutal. i just want to curl up in the warmth of my happy bed and rest... but really, it doesn't take much to make me want that.

the girls there are just so young. it's a wee bit hard for me to handle because i don't normally feel like i'm old, but being around 18 & 19 year olds who have just finished high school makes me woozy. I'm almost 10 years older than them.... WHAT?!?! that's insanity.

we get thrown in right away... i guess it is the sink or swim theory. no time to just get your toes wet, i guess that's what today was. we start manicures tomorrow and we're going to begin literally working on each other.

i miss the comfort of my friends, robin and jenny. i miss the confidence of knowing my job inside and out. i miss being able to wear whatever i want. i miss the flexibility of my old job. i miss hour long lunch breaks. oh, who am i kidding? i miss getting a paycheck!

anyway, these next 10 months are going to be no picnic. it is totally going to suck and everyone i know has told me this. but i have also been assured that beauty school is NOTHING like working in the field and it is just one of those rites of passage (and a means to an end - to get licensed) that every cosmetologist goes through.

i just wish the rules weren't like being in high school again.

cheers to chasing your dream!